How do I manage quotas?

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Tue Jun 19 20:49:20 PDT 2007

> Sorry - I can't find these answers anywhere.
>
> I am a school sysadmin, and I need to give staff and students different quotas.  Can I do this by using two alias names for the same printer?

No.

CUPS does not really support "aliases". (CUPS' printer "instances" are something different -- the print through the same queue, but with different default job settings).

CUPS' quotas are per printer. Same for each user...

Therefore, the only option is to setup each physical printer with two different queues (different names, like "student_prn1" and "staff_prn1"), where each queue has its own quotas, and completely denies access to the other group.