DinA3 landscape printing problem

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jun 21 07:47:35 PDT 2007

Christoph Litauer wrote:
> Dear cups gurus,
>
> I know that it's not a strictly cups related problem, but hopefully
> someone is able to give a hint. Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> I am using cups 1.1.23 on a SuSE Linux 10.1 server.
>
> I have some PDF files in format DIN A3 landscape. I want to print them
> on A3 paper landscape. But if I choose A3 as paper format (using kpdf or
> kprinter) the resulting spool file contains postscript code that prints
> the document on A3 paper but portrait. If I choose A4, everything is
> correct. Any idea whats wrong?
>
> You can download an example pdf (Grafik1.pdf) on
> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/A3/ as well as the ppd file of the
> printer I am trying to print to.

The PDF file defines a Media box of [842 595] which is A4 landscape.
Therefore, the default pdftops filter defines a weird page size
within the resulting PostScript job.

I'd suggest to use the "alternate pdftops" filter (see the links on the CUPS
web site) and use the pdftops utility which comes with xpdf V3.02.
Then, when printing with the option
	-o pdf-paper=1191x842
the file is printed as requested.

Helge