[cups.general] Network printer: remote jobs hang, print if requeued locally

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jun 22 00:59:46 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Jun 21 22:58 Frnak McKenney wrote (shortened):
> Two computers ('office', 'manticore') and an Ethernet-attached
> printer (Brother MFC420CN) are connected to the same LAN.
> Remote printing from 'office' apps fails.

I don't know what
office: IBM OS/2 Warp 4
office IP: 192.168.0.1
office printer driver: Apple Color LaserWriter 12/600
actually means (I do some guess below).

How exactly is "remote printing" set up on 'office'?
Via a seperated print queue on 'office'?
If yes, what exactly are those queue settings?

What is in the CUPS error_log for a job from 'office'?
See
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"If problems are encountered"

A blind guess:
I guess that you run the "Apple Color LaserWriter" driver on 'office'
because actually you like to produce plain PostScript on 'office'.
If yes, isn't there a generic PostScript driver for "IBM OS/2 Warp 4"?
I also assume that "IBM OS/2 Warp 4" does not support IPP or CUPS
but only plain LPD.
If yes, I assume you run the cups-lpd on 'manticore' to receive
print jobs from 'office' via LPD protocol.
If yes, see "man cups-lpd" regarding the "document-format"
and see /etc/cups/mime.types which other document-format
you might like to choose (depending on what it actually is
what comes as print job data from 'office').
Perhaps the "Apple Color LaserWriter" driver does not produce
plain PostScript but perhaps it prepends it with some
printer specific stuff (like JCL stuff) which confuses the
CUPS filtering system on 'manticore'. If yes, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
what you might do on 'manticore' to fix the PostScript if there is
no generic PostScript driver available for "IBM OS/2 Warp 4".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex