Network printer: remote jobs hang,print if requeued locally

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Sat Jun 23 04:40:09 PDT 2007

> Thank you for taking the time to respond.  My apologies if my
> initial comments weren't clear.

I didn't have time to follow this threat in detail.

However, one question: could it be....

 ....that the original job is passing CUPS unfiltered (your Windows client + Samba server + CUPS setup makes the job print as "raw"), which format is not what your print device is able to consume?

 ....that your 2nd shoot, where you submit the spool file from the CUPS server triggers the CUPS "auto-typing" function for jobs and that leads to the correct filtering chain applied?

I'd advice you to monitor your error_log for the filters that get applied by CUPS for each job. Also, you may be able to open the first job (the spool file) in an editor and look at the PostScript code.

You could use my primitive "2file" CUPS backend which I posted here some days ago (http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general+v:29728) to setup another queue with the same PPD, but which "prints to file", and then use "sdiff -sbB" to compare the files for significant differences.

Cheers,
Kurt