[cups.general] printing to a remote IPP printer with lp is dang hard

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Mon Jun 25 14:38:58 PDT 2007

+++ Andrew Pimlott [25/06/07 16:09 -0400]:
> This is a repost of Debian bug 429715[1] on cupsys-client, which has
> thus-far gone unanswered.
>
> My friend gave me the IPP URL of his printer.  Not knowing much about
> this newfangled protocol, I installed cupsys-client, thinking (based on
> the package description) it would be a cinch to use the printer.  (This
> Debian package contains the lp* family of commands.)  It turned out to
> be an ordeal.  I'd like feedback on what I did wrong, or how this could
> be made easier and less frustrating.
>
> The URL was of the form
>
>     ipp://192.168.0.10/printers/HPLJ1012

Andrew:

I too would like to do something similar. My wife has an HP 2605dn color
laser at home, connected via our home LAN, to to any specific machine on
that LAN. It's address takes the form 192.168.x.x.

I can remotely connect to this home LAN using ssh, so I assume I should also
be able to send print jobs from my office to home, to find them printed when
I arrive home. I guess I have not figured out how to address the job, since
the modem isn't directly connected to this printer, but via DHCP on my
WRT54G router.

I'd love to hear from someone who really knows how to get CUPS to dance and
sing with this remote printing issue.

Scott

--
Sandy Chiropractic Office	Dr. Scott S. Jones

V: 801.56.5428			MAILING ADDRESS
F: 801.858.9300			PO Box 1154
E: scott at fyrenice.com		Sandy, Utah 84091-1154