[cups.general] Network printer: remote jobs hang, print if requeued locally

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:56:37 PDT 2007

> Raw printing is only feasible if the Windows client has the native print driver for
> the target printer installed (PostScript or not),

Yes

> and if smb.conf also contains "use client driver = yes".

I think "use client driver" means something else.  Samba just needs to
be informed to submit the job as raw.  "cups options = raw"  "use client
driver" should almost never be used as it effectively disables allot of
SPOOLSS compatibility.  We run all out print servers with automatically
installing native drivers without "use client driver".

> > Shouldn't it be possible to keep the "cups options = raw" default
> > in the general section and add whatever special "cups options"
> > only in a particular printer section where it is required?
> No.

If you need to abuse a certain CIFS print queue in some special way just
disable CUPS (use LPRNG for instance) for that queue and thunk the job
back through.

[wycdj]
  path = /tmp
  comment = Wyoming Refiltered Inket Printer
  printable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  printing = LPRNG
  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Pwycdj -r -T"%u.$$.wycdj" %s
  lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Pwycdj
  lpq cache time = 500
  lprm command =

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com