Problem with canon CUPS driver v1.40

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Tue Jun 26 09:36:19 PDT 2007

> I'm trying to use Canon "PostScript Printer Driver v1.40" for CUPS (you
> can find it here http://www.canon.com.au/pps/colour/imagepress_c1_drivers.aspx
> for example) but using the driver for my Canon iR C2880 a simple single
> page become more than 50 rasterized pages with 1 or 2 row of text on
> them.
>
> The only driver that seems to work is the Generic PS but it has not the
> color support.
>
> The CUPS log does not reports anything strage.

I came across some Canon PS drivers for Windows that did do strange things... They write a binary header ahead of the real PostScript (but send it as one file). Their printers obviously know how to handle that correctly; but CUPS doesn't. (I believe that header is embedding the user password/PIN for locked/confidential printing in an encrypted form).

You can try this: put "cups options = raw" into your smb.conf (I assume you are printing via Samba to CUPS??).

Also, you say "The CUPS log does not reports anything strage."

Can you be more specific, please? Especially, please enable "LogLevel debug" in cupsd.conf, restart cupsd, print a job and post the output of this command (for the last job only):

   grep -E "file type|Started filter|Started backend" /var/log/cups/error_log

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant --- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS