[cups.general] How do I manage quotas?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jun 27 09:39:32 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 06:11:39PM +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> On Jun 27 10:23 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> > are there any plans to package PyKota for openSUSE any time soon?
>
> I remember correctly it seems the author does not like
> it when his code is distributed this way.

You don't remember correctly ;-)

> Of course it is GPL code and anybody is allowed to do
> but at least I personally would prefer to have a good contact
> with the author (i.e. not work against his ideas).

I'd LOVE to see PyKota packaged by distributors, as explained
there :

  http://www.mailarchives.org/list/debian-user/msg/2005/45012

And you know why ? Because this would be less work to do for me
(and then Kurt wouldn't complain so loudly ;-)

PyKota and all the software available on http://www.pykota.com
are free for anyone to download, modify, package, distribute,
under the terms of the GNU GPL v2.0 or higher (this with certainety
means v3.0 when it will be out).

I only ask one thing : if you download a release which version
number contains the word 'official' in it, let's say
'pykota-1.25_official.tar.gz', and you want to modify it before
redistributing it, then you remove the word 'official' from the
version number (in pykota/version.py).

IMPORTANT : this is not a requirement, just what I'd like you to do.

And maybe this isn't clear in the message mentioned above, this is
only for "real" code changes, not changes to parts of the sources
which are "dormant", like code only needed during packaging or
installation. If you don't modify the "running" parts of the code
before packaging and redistributing, for example you only modify
the installation script or add or modify package specific code,
then it's perfectly ok for me if you keep the 'official' name.

This is just because I don't want to be asked to fix bugs introduced
by someone else in the code, I've got enough work already with my
own bugs ;-)

This "limitation" seems pretty reasonable to me.

So again, a short message to all distributors out there :

    Just feel free to redistribute PyKota and related software
    as part of your own distribution.

    Thanks in advance !

Hoping it's clearer for everybody now.

bye