[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2405: No documented way to shut off timeout-auto-disable of remote printers

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 5 05:08:39 PDT 2007

[STR New]

As with several other commenters on various web fora, we find ourselves in
need of a method to turn off CUPS's habit of placing a print queue in the
disabled state when it is unable to contact the printer's host machine for
a specific number of retries.

We'd prefer that it implement, say, exponential-backoff of the retry time,
and just keep hammering.

A per-queue knob would be acceptable, though for our sites, we would
disable it for all remote queues (which are usually exported SMB print
queues from Windows workstations.

If this capability already exists (my reading suggests that setting
Timeout to -1 in the cups.conf file *might* have this effect, but it's
quite vague), then the documentation should be extended to make this point
clearer.

See also: http://osdir.com/ml/printing.cups.general/2004-01/msg00241.html

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2405
Version: 1.3-current