ServerName - fails to roll over to next server in line

Bill Weaver bweaver at pacplanet.com
Tue Jun 5 10:53:46 PDT 2007

When utilizing the 'ServerName' directive in the 'client.conf' file as shown below:

ServerName host1
ServerName host2
ServerName host3
ServerName host4

If 'host1' is down, CUPS clients fail to roll over to the next server inline.  In this case, 'host2'.  In fact, they will not roll over to any of the remaining three servers providing CUPS services, thus the  redundancy we want is not working.

We successfully worked around this by using a virtual IP/hostname bonded to initially 'host1', then if that host fails, rolls over to 'host2', etc..

ServerName virtualHost
ServerName host1
ServerName host2
ServerName host3
ServerName host4

This basically bypasses the remaining 4 ServerNames, but achieves the same effect.  We could as easily just had the first line to do the same thing:

ServerName virtualHost

Has anyone else seen the ServerName setting fail?  Do you have a work around?  Thanks.