Windows Server 2003 printing without Samba to CUPS

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 1 06:47:45 PST 2007

John A. Murdie wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with setting up printing services on a
> Windows Server 2003 so that its (Windows desktop) clients can print
> through it to the printers of a CUPS print server (hosted by a
> Solaris system), without going through Samba? (Occam's Razor - Don't
> multiply entities beyond necessity!) Awkwardly, I know nothing about
> Windows Server 2003 and the Windows people here know and wish to
> continue to know nothing about CUPS, but say that Windows Server 2003
> does not let them address the many printers of a CUPS server with
> URIs such as ipp:cups/pp23, ipp:cups/pp24 etc, though they can
> configure one IPP printer at a particular address with a URI such as
> ipp:pp23. Is there an overview article on this subject?

Short version:

Bring up the Printers & Faxes control panel, double-click Add Printer,
choose network printer, and use:

     http://servername:631/printers/printername

as the URL for the printer.

You'll need to supply a local driver as CUPS doesn't (yet) support
the undocumented Microsoft IPP extension for driver download, but
that works with Win2k, WinXP, and Win2k3.