[cups.general] Installation problems

Alex Finch a.finch at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 08:47:59 PST 2007

  I have been running cups for a while now and decided it might be time to upgrade to a newer version. I downloaded
cups-1.2.8-source.tar.gz
uszipped it and did (as root)
mkdir /test
../configure --prefix=/test
make
make install
/test/sbin/cupsd
connected to
localhost:631 and added a printer which went ok ( i used root username and password)

Then a number of things do not work:

1) clicked print test page and it said
Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!

2) On the administration page, if I try to click any of the options like
"Show printers shared by other systems"

I get "permission denied"

3) If I try to edit the configuration file it comes up in the window ok, but I get

Error:

     No such file or directory

when I save it.

4) I can do modify printer
but
set printer options
gets
Permission denied

The machine is running Scientific Linux 4.4 ( a clone of RHEL 4.4)
It already has cups installed, but the server is not running.

Any ideas as to what is wrong would be welcome.

  Alex Finch

--
  Alex Finch, Research Fellow, Physics Department, Lancaster University.
+44 (0) 1524 593618   http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/physics/staff/ajf.htm