Borderless virtual PDF-Printer with Cups and Samba

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Mar 1 09:33:04 PST 2007

> Hi everybody,
> I have setup a virtual PDF-Printer (tried own backend and cups-pdf) on a Linux Server to produce PDF's from Windows-Clients via Samba.
>
> So far it works fine, but I get a white border with borderless original documents. I don't know at which step the border is set.
>
> On the Client side? Win machines work with Point'n'Print cups-windows driver and MS Postscript driver.
> or on the cups server? I tested the following driver
>
> Generic postscript color printer rev4
> Adobe PDF 3016.102
> HP DesignJet 1055CM PS3 v3010.106 (recommended)
>
> At which step I can set the margins to zero or are there any Postscript ppd's to print borderless?
>
> Many thanks,
> Holger

Minimum borders are set in the "ImageableArea" statements for each media
size. (Document software may set larger borders.)

For a PDF printer that should produce "borderless" page images, you'll
have to hack the ImageableArea statements. (Make them exactly the same
as the respective "PageSize", "PageRegion" and "PaperDimension"
settings.)

Cheers,
Kurt