[cups.general] PDFs do not Print

adfas asd chimera_god at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 09:43:47 PST 2007

> Perhaps you could post (an URL to) a sample PDF file
> that does not print?

I could, but I'm not sure whether it would do any
good.  I can print pdf's from this laptop to the
office Gestetner DSm622, to my Alps MD5000 (ppmtomd),
and to my HP Laserjet4 (PS).

But I can not print pdf's to the office Gestetner
DSc38u (color) PS.  I can print jpg's, png's, text
files, and ps files to this printer, but not .pdf's.
I see the pdf print job going out the network, but the
printer just never wakes up.  My Cups driver for it is
Debian PS, and the printer's PS version is 3 (1.02).
This printer also has PCL 5c, but that is not the
recommended driver, and I couldn't find its PCL driver
anyway.

Another Gestetner printer here, which I can print
pdf's to, is PCL 5e & PCL XL.

Seems like if this were a pdftops problem it would
happen with the Laserjet4 as well?  Although I now
realize that yet another Gestetner printer here (6002)
fouls up when I try to print to it using its PS
driver.  For a one-page print job, the first page is
gibberish, and then I get 20 blank pages.

If the problem is Gestetner-specific, what can I do?
Can I install a Suse pdftops?  Compile one?

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time