[cups.general] PDFs do not Print

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Mar 3 10:29:24 PST 2007

adfas asd wrote:

>>Perhaps you could post (an URL to) a sample PDF file
>>that does not print?
>

> I could, but I'm not sure whether it would do any
> good.  I can print pdf's from this laptop to the
> office Gestetner DSm622, to my Alps MD5000 (ppmtomd),
> and to my HP Laserjet4 (PS).
>
> But I can not print pdf's to the office Gestetner
> DSc38u (color) PS.  I can print jpg's, png's, text
> files, and ps files to this printer, but not .pdf's.
> I see the pdf print job going out the network, but the
> printer just never wakes up.  My Cups driver for it is
> Debian PS, and the printer's PS version is 3 (1.02).
> This printer also has PCL 5c, but that is not the
> recommended driver, and I couldn't find its PCL driver
> anyway.
>
> Another Gestetner printer here, which I can print
> pdf's to, is PCL 5e & PCL XL.
>
> Seems like if this were a pdftops problem it would
> happen with the Laserjet4 as well?  Although I now
> realize that yet another Gestetner printer here (6002)
> fouls up when I try to print to it using its PS
> driver.  For a one-page print job, the first page is
> gibberish, and then I get 20 blank pages.
>
> If the problem is Gestetner-specific, what can I do?
> Can I install a Suse pdftops?  Compile one?

What PPD do you use for the printer? The recommended PPD seems to be:
	http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Gestetner-DSc38u
And, are you usre the printer is set up to use the correct media size for
your PDFs? The recommended PPD sets the printer to ask for operator
intervention in case of media size mismatch (or otherwise generate a
configuration error). Is the printer configured to print an error page
in case or error conditions?

Helge

PS: with only such vague information you provided so far it is hardly possible
to give reasonable advice.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung