CUPS not seeing shared Windows printers

Peter Flynn peter.nosp at m.silmaril.ie
Sat Mar 3 16:00:02 PST 2007

I'm running CUPS on Ubuntu Edgy connected to my domestic network which
includes Windows machines used by others in the household. Most of them
have shared their printers to the rest of the network, but CUPS can't
see any of them.

Under Global Settings in the Printers applet, Detect LAN Printers is
checked, but none appear, and if I try to add a Network Printer set to
SMB, it asks for passwords for users I've never heard of (but none of
them use passwords, either on their Windows login or on their shares --
I checked) and then finds nothing.

Is there some extra piece of manual configuration needed somewhere?

If I run xsmbrowser, I can see all their shares and printers easily, so
I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with the network setup, only with CUPS.

///Peter