Limiting list of printers seen by user?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Tue Mar 6 05:55:26 PST 2007

Revisiting an old subject - use your nntp client to find the old
thread :-).

>>>(There is still an issue with this and remote printers, but
>>>that should be resolved in an upcoming snapshot...)
>> Is there a STR entry for this? I can't find it.
>
> There are (at least) two STRs for browsing that cover this; basically,
> we need to add attributes to the end of each browse packet so that
> the information is passed to the client...

I'm having trouble limiting the list of printers returned by
cupsGetDests. I have a setup with two computers where both are running
cupsd. On the "master", i configure a printer and then do 'lpadmin -u
allow:user1'. Calling cupsGetDests running on master limits the list
of printers so that user1 doesn't see the printer.

However, when I call cupsGetDests on the second computer, to which the
printer I added has been browsed, user1 sees the printer I don't want
her to see.

Is this supposed to work?

If I instead set 'ServerName master' in /etc/cups/client.conf, I get
the intended behaviour, although more load will be placed on the
master cupsd. I can probably live with that, though. Just want to know
that's supposed to work.

I'm using CUPS 1.2.4-2ubuntu3, so my problems might be related to
patches added by Ubuntu/Debian, but reading the changelog doesn't seem
to indicate any browsing-related changes.

Thanks,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Systems Analyst/Developer    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00