[cups.general] Required user name not tested?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 6 06:13:03 PST 2007

Hello,

I run CUPS 1.2.7 and have this in my cupsd.conf:
<Location /admin>
Encryption Required
Order allow,deny
Allow From localhost
</Location>

<Policy default>
# All admin operations require an admin to authenticate...
<Limit ... CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer ...>
AuthType Basic
Require user @SYSTEM johannes
Require group suse
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
As far as I understand this settings require that
the request must come from localhost
and the user must be @SYSTEM or johannes
and the user must belong to the suse group
(because the default is "Satisfy all")
but it seems I misunderstand something because:

On my localhost I have the users jsmeix and johannes.
jsmeix is member of the group suse but johannes is not.
Nevertheless I can run lpadmin successfully as jsmeix
(but not as johannes).

Three more questions:

What exactly means in
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html
"Require group foo bar"
Must the user must be a member of foo and bar if "Satisfy all"
and the user can be a member of foo or bar if "Satisfy any"?

What is the difference between "Require group foo bar"
and "Require user @foo @bar"?

Regarding "Order":
Is a Require line considered to be an Allow line or a Deny line?
Or more precisely:
What is the exact sequence of tests for "Order deny,allow"
and "Order allow,deny" for Allow lines, Deny lines and
"Require user" and "Require group" lines?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex