CUPS - Creating HP-UX Remote Queues

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Mar 6 13:41:15 PST 2007

Tony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're looking at configuring a single central print server servicing
> some clients.  The print server will more than likely be Linux (HP-UX
> is in the picture though).  Currently, we've installed CUPS on a test
> server (RH Enterprise 4) and are currently running some tests.  It
> prints fine locally on the box.  However, can someone tell me how to
> setup a "remote queue" from an HP-UX 11.23 PA box to the Linux print
> server?  Am I required to install CUPS on the HP box as a client or
> can I use the OS based spooler already there?  We have software on
> the HP box which currently integrates with the OS spooler.  Thus,
> we're trying to find a way to pass printjobs via the HP lp spooler
> via remote queues to the Linux print server utilizing CUPS.

You *can* use the native spooler on HP-UX, although you will miss out
on the functionality of CUPS.

Normally, CUPS clients automatically see the print queues that are
shared by a CUPS server (as long as the server and client are on the
same network - additional configuration is required for multi-subnet
setups...)

For legacy clients, you need to enable LPD support on the CUPS server.
Do a "man cups-lpd" for instructions on setting that up - most Linux
distros also support doing "chkconfig cups-lpd on" to enable it.

With LPD support enabled, you just configure the remote queues like
you did before on HP-UX...