[cups.general] autentication for non-root even on localhost

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 8 01:23:04 PST 2007

Hello,

If there is a policy in cupsd.conf which allows the normal
user "johndoe" to do any printer setup,
<Policy default>
  <Limit ... CUPS-Add-Printer ...>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM johndoe
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
then the cupsd asks for the password of johndoe:
johndoe$ /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p test -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -E
Password for johndoe on localhost?
[johndoe must type in his password]

As far as I know this is because for the cupsd there is just
a IPP request comming in and the cupsd must make sure that
it is really johndoe who sent this IPP request.

On the other hand I wonder why cupsd doesn't need to do the
same kind of explicite authentication for root on localhost.

By the way:
Were my questions regarding "Required user name not tested" stupid?
If yes, a hint to the appropriate manual would be very much appreciated
(perhaps I only misunderstand something in the cupsd-conf reference).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex