coniguration of pdftops

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Mar 8 09:07:13 PST 2007

Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
> And where is it located?
> I hope at /etc/cups/
>
> regards (this was fast)
> Franz
>
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>

>>Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I try to configure the pdftops-filter.
>>>
>>>I have to set the paramete -paper match
>>>(as desripted at the man pages) from xpdf.
>>>
>>>is there any example of the pdftops.conf?
>>
>>It is the same format as /etc/xpdfrc, just specific to CUPS.

Ir resides in /etc/cups or /usr/local/etc/cups, respectively.

And here is an example:
---snip---
#
# Configuration file for the alternate pdftops filter
#
# 2004-10-05/Bl
#       initial
#
# This configuration file defaults the configuration settings for xpdf's pdftops
# utility for use as a CUPS filter (under the pdftops wrapper). Short of
# unicode handling, those options are listed which are (or seem to me) relevant
# to convert PDFs to PostScript suitable for production printers.
#
# Most of these options may be overridden by using the commandline options
# of pdftops prefixed with 'pdf'. Example: to enable OPI handling, add
#       pdf-opi
# to the command line options. For the details see the pdftops wrapper.

#
# Where to search for fonts not embedded in the PDF (currently, Type1 fonts only)
#
fontDir /PostScript/pfa

#
# Paper size handling
#       We default to the media size specified in the PDF file.
#       If a crop box is specified, it wil be used, otherwise the media box instead.
#       By default, we use this size as imageable area.
#
psPaperSize match
psCrop yes
psExpandSmaller no
psShrinkLarger yes
psCenter yes

#
# As we have (level 2) printers which don't understand CID fonts, we produce level 2
# output.
#
psLevel level2

#
# Font handling.
# We embed all fonts embedded in the PDF in the generated PS (level2 compatible composite
# fonts in case of CID fonts.
#
psEmbedType1Fonts yes
psEmbedTrueTypeFonts yes
psEmbedCIDTrueTypeFonts yes
psEmbedCIDPostScriptFonts yes

# OPI.
# As OPI handling is rather uncommon to printers, disable it by default. But it may be
# enabled by print command attribute.
#
psOPI no

#
# Use ASCII85 encoding.
#
psASCIIHex no

---snip---
And, if you prefer to use acroread (the Adobe Reader 7 and higher),
you may use the following for acroread.conf:
---snip---
#
# Configuration file for acroread as alternate pdftops filter
#
# 2006-09-26/Bl
#       initial
#
# This configuration file sets some useful default options for use of
# the Adobe readder (acroread) as an alternate pdftops filter.
#
# Most of these options may be overridden by using the commandline options
# of pdftops prefixed with 'pdf'. Example: to expand the PDF pages to match
# the specified media size, add
#       pdf-expand
# to the command line options.
# We use the option names of xpdf's pdftops utility for compatibility reasons;
# for use with acroread they are translated by the pdftops wrapper. For
# details see the script itself.

#
# Paper size handling
#       We default to the media size in the PDF file. If acroread uses
#       the media box or the crop box is unknown to me and cannot be modified
#       by command line options, but we use the shrink to fit option by default.
#
shrink

#
# By default, we use level2 output, as most printers only support level2.
# Note that acroread does no longer support level1, thus level1 will be
# silently ignored.
#
level2

#
# As we convert to PostScript for printing only, we do not output comments
# or annotations and emit all used fonts once at the beginning of the document.
#
optimizeForSpeed
commentsOff
annotsOff
transQuality 3

---snip---

The job options the alternate pdftops filter uses are the same for
both programs (unified internally)

Good luck

Helge

--