[cups.general] PDFs do not Print

adfas asd chimera_god at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 15:06:22 PST 2007

--- George Liu <george.liu at ussj.ricoh.com> wrote:
> > But when I try to print pdf's, pages and pages of
> > gibberish.
> How did you print PDF? PDF Raw printing?
> Print a config page from your printer.

Gibberish when I print using the command-line that you
gave, and when printing from KPDF.  Same result either
way.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/RicohFAQ#Does_m
> y_printer_support_Postscript_.2F_PCL_XL_.2F_PCL5_.3F

Yes, the DSc38u printer config page says it supports
RPCS (2b.6.8), PCL 5c (1.01), and Postscript 3 (1.02)
..

I don't know how to check the version of my pdf docs,
although examining in a text editor, at the top it
says %PDF-1.3 .

My OS is Debian Etch, which I do a dist-upgrade on
monthly.

> Double check to see if it supports PDF direct print,
> if so, note the
> version of PDF it supports.
> Also check your file's PDF version to see whether it
> matches.

The printer config page says nothing about supporting
pdf direct print.

> If you are not using PDF direct printing, then the
> filter which
> translates PDF to Postscript is giving you problems.

This is what I suspicion, although I don't know what
to do about it.

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.