[cups.general] PDFs do not Print

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 10:02:18 PST 2007

On 09/03/07, adfas asd <chimera_god at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Gibberish when I print using the command-line that you
> gave, and when printing from KPDF.  Same result either
> way.

When you use raw printing, then there is NO filter between you
and the printer, and so you cannot just print like that from the
command line. Normaly, for a Postscript printer you will get
either no output or a page of errors, not gibberish; you are
getting gibberish because the printer accepts PCL so it thought
that you gave it PCL.

Basically you have to do it the old way and print from an
application (Acrobat Reader for example), or use a command-
line tool to pre-convert what you want to print to PostScript. It
is probably easiest to just run Acrobat Reader and print your
PDF's from there; just make sure the "Print command" is set
to "lp -d Gestetner -o raw".

For kdeprint, you might also want to try going to KControl and
make sure everything is correct there, since you are basically
using your CUPS as a traditional Unix lpd with no automatic
filters. But I don't really use KDE myself so I don't know what
has to be done to make kdeprint more automatic; maybe
someone else on the list can help you with kdeprint.

If you can get this to work and no one else prints PCL to that
printer, it'd be best to disable PCL printing on the printer if you
can.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)