[cups.general] PDFs do not Print

adfas asd chimera_god at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 11:33:01 PDT 2007

OK, now I see about -raw.  Thanks Ambrose.

But I do not understand why I get gibberish when
printing pdf's from K-apps.  KPDF or KDE is supposed
to filter them, pdf to postscript, if I understand
correctly.  But this is apparently not happening with
the Gestetner DSc38u when I use Ricoh's 'perfect'
postscript driver.  It does work when I print the same
file to my postscript Laserjet4, from the same laptop.

Maybe the DSc38u postscript driver is supposed to
route the pdf datastream through pdftops, although
it's apparently not.  I do have pdftops (ver.3), and
when I use it to manually convert my very-same pdf to
ps I can then kghostview the resulting postscript file
and print it to the DSc38u successfully.

Don't tell me the only thing the PPD drivers have to
do is send printer settings and route the datastream
through pdftops?  And this driver even messes that
simple job up?

The thing that's really queer is that when I install
the Gestetner 422 PCL-XL driver and try to print, once
again it prints postscript OK but messes up pdf.  Even
the PCL driver messes up in this case.

I have tried to understand Cups before, but either the
explanations were terrible, or its workings are too
Byzantine for mere mortals to comprehend.

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/