Borderless virtual PDF-Printer with Cups and Samba

Holger Nowak holger.nowak at psychonomics.de
Mon Mar 12 11:34:55 PDT 2007

> > Minimum borders are set in the "ImageableArea" statements for each media
> > size. (Document software may set larger borders.)
> >
> > For a PDF printer that should produce "borderless" page images, you'll
> > have to hack the ImageableArea statements. (Make them exactly the same
> > as the respective "PageSize", "PageRegion" and "PaperDimension"
> > settings.)
>
> I meant "the ImageableArea statements in the respective PPD file".

Thanks Curt for your quick response. After more than a week of illness I have played around today with the ImageableArea and the margin definitions in the PageSize -Region and PaperDimension settings.

Now I have no margins :-) but the xy coordinates are false. In landscape format the result begins slightly away from the left and top of the document and the right side is cut. In portrait format the page begins above and a little "to left".

My reference ppd is the HP DesignJet 1055CM PS3. If I take the generic PS ppds from linuxprinting.org or from cups-pdf the margins are set correctly but I can only print in portrait format.

The changed settings in the ppd look like:

*PageSize A4/ISO A4: "
 /HPDict /ProcSet findresource /SetMargins get [ 0 0 0 0 ] exch exec
 <</PageSize[595 842]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*End

*PageRegion A4/ISO A4: "
 /HPDict /ProcSet findresource /SetMargins get [ 0 0 0 0 ] exch exec
 <</PageSize[595 842]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*End

*ImageableArea A4/ISO A4: "0 0 595 842"

*PaperDimension A4/ISO A4: "595 842"

I don't know anything about the ps-language but I think that the first two values in the ImageableArea are the xy coordinates, so I am off with my knowledge to set the xy point of origin to the left top corner of the document.

The DesignJet ppd is much more complex than the generic postscript drivers, since I only want to create PDF's I do not insist on this PPD but also do not know which definition file is fine to make portrait and landscape PDF's.

Thanks again for your help,
Holger