CUPS printing through distributed maps

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 15 11:37:51 PDT 2007

Scott DeJong wrote:
> This may be a silly question, but I'm trying to simplify printer configuration on many LINUX boxes.  Ideally, I'd like to use distributed maps, i.e. NIS, NIS+, LDAP, etc., but I can't figure out how to do that with CUPS on LINUX.  The way I do it on Solaris is I share out a printers.conf.byname and set the printers section of nsswitch.conf to files, nis, ldap, etc.
>
> Am I missing something here, or is it just not possible on LINUX with CUPS.

It is not possible with CUPS at present, however CUPS provides its
own method of distributing printer information from servers to clients
that generally makes such mechanisms unnecessary.

For simple networks (only 1 subnet), turn on printer sharing on the
server and the clients will see the printers automatically.

For multi-subnet networks, setup one or more clients on each subnet
to poll the server(s) via BrowsePoll, and then relay the printer
information to the other clients on that subnet via BrowseRelay in
cupsd.conf, e.g.:

     BrowsePoll server1
     BrowsePoll server2
     BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 @LOCAL