scheduler not responding!

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Mar 20 02:52:03 PDT 2007

> Thanks for the reply :-)  Frustrating problem, and from other similar
> happenings to people, can't find anything that points to what the
> cause is.
>
> Anyway ....
>
> > Which OS, which CUPS version, which vendor for the CUPS binaries?
>
> OS is RHEL 4, fully up todate with their updates/security fixtures
> etc.  Currently running kernel 2.6.9-42.0.10
>
> CUPS is 1.1.22rc1

Huh? "RHEL fully up to date" has a CUPS 1.1.22rc1??

"rc1" stands for "Release Candidate No. 1 for the upcoming 1.1.22 Final Release" and was released in October 2004. I don't think you'll get *any* support or fix for your problem, even if it turned out to be a CUPS bug.

Have a look at this page:

   http://www.cups.org/relnotes.php

and check for yourself which of the numerous fixes that went into the 19 (!) releases (count includes other RCs) since October 2004 may match your problem.

Having said that, it may also be that some "SE Linux" setting of RHEL prevents your scheduler's responses getting back to the clients....

> CUPS binaries will have come with RHEL, I have not installed anything
> external etc. in respect to CUPS

So you're saying that your CUPS on that system in fact never did work at all before?