Problems with BROTHER HL1260e

Rainer office at hantsch.co.at
Thu Mar 22 03:16:18 PDT 2007

Hello!
I have an old but excellent working laser printer which shall be used on a brand new openSuSE 10.2 with CUPS.

Printer:  BROTHER HL-1260e + Duplexing Unit + 2nd Paper Tray
          prints up to 600x600dpi (and special mode 1200x600 which I
          do not really need), and can print up to 16 pages/minute.

This printer has only a parallel interface (no NIC) and supports BrotherScript (PostScript Level ~2) and HP-LaserJet4 compatible PCL5e.
The network interface is optional and not available.

Because PostScript printing works awfully slow (especially in duplex mode it prints 1 sheet in ~10 minutes!!), I would like to use the printer in PCL mode which is surely much faster.
My problem is that I don't find a PPD and/or printer which get the printer almost fully working (I can live without 1200x60dpi); the included PCL5 driver list is endless, but the ppd for HL1260 has no possibility to select the duplexing unit and paper trays.

Can somebody, please, help?

Thanks in advance.