[cups.general] Problems with Vista

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Mar 22 04:19:36 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 11:01:21AM +0000, Jorge Granjal wrote:

> I'm using CUPS with XP, MacOSX and other clients successfully for years,
> but I'm having a strange problem with the new Windows Vista.
>
> I have no problem defining the printer using a URL like
> https://ourserver.ourdomain/printer/<printer>.
>
> On the properties of the printer, and selecting “Ports” and then
> “Configure Port” I configure the username and password Windows should
> use when connecting to the printer (selecting “Use the specified user
> account”, just like on XP.
>
> My problem is that Windows uses that username to connect to CUPS, but
> somehow uses the "Windows logon name" when printing. This is a problem
> for me because I’m using Pykota with CUPS, and so pykota denies my
> print job.

I assume by this you mean Windows sends the fully qualified username
(like 'DOMAIN/Username') and this causes a problem. If this is the
case then set 'winbind_separator' to the appropriate value
in pykota.conf and it should work as expected.

You should also ensure that the username when stripped from the domain
part is registered in PyKota's database and a print quota entry exists
for this user on each printer you want to use this way (use the pkusers
+ edpykota command line tools to check and fix)

Hoping this helps

Jerome Alet