[cups.general] [PyKota] Problems with Vista

Jorge Granjal jgranjal at dei.uc.pt
Thu Mar 22 04:51:26 PDT 2007

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply.

My username on the Pykota database is "jgranjal", same username I use
on other network services. CUPS authenticates via PAM on Kerberos, so
I dont want to use my Windows logon name, just the username and password I
use on several network services.

That username is correctly authorized on pykota, I use that from XP desktops
without any problem.

On Vista, Windows sends the correct username when connecting to CUPS or when
I refresh the printer queue:

"Mar 22 10:37:59 ipp cupsd: pam_krb5[2189]: authentication succeeds for
'jgranjal' (jgranjal at DEI.UC.PT)"

But when I submit a job it sends the username I use on the Windows desktop
(Windows logon name):

"Mar 22 10:39:38 ipp PyKota: (PID 5402) : jorge at minolta(31) => User
jorge not registered in the PyKota system, applying default policy
(DENY) for printer minolta
Mar 22 10:39:38 ipp PyKota: (PID 5402) : jorge at minolta(31) => User
jorge doesn't have quota on printer minolta in the PyKota system,
applying default policy (DENY)"

I guess CUPS extracts the username somehow from HTTP headers during the IPP
dialog and that will be the username passed do the PyKota filter.
What is strange is that this was never a problem with XP ou 2003.

Thank you again,

Jorge