[cups.general] headers prevent samba printing

Alex Finch a.finch at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 08:41:06 PDT 2007

   I have worked out that the problem is due to cupsaddsmb continually retrying operations which are failing. Using -v makes this
clear. I was then able to see what I had done wrong , namely (1) put driver files in wrong place, and (2) used wrong password. I
have posted a bug report about it. The version of samba is the most recent available from the yum repository for that machine. I
would have to reinstall it from source too, which I will do if I have to , but I prefer not to fix things that aren't broken.

Meanwhile Mike Sweet suggested I try applying the patch for STR #1933 to 1.2.8, but I did not have a lot of luck with that either,
it did a segmentation violation when printing raw files from samba.

	Alex

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> [...]
>
>> upgraded our server to cups 1.2.8.
>
> [...]
>
>> all that happens is that cupsaddsmb takes 95% of the CPU of the
>> machine to no effect and never stops.
>>
>> 	Alex Finch
>
> [...]
>
>> Alex Finch wrote:
>>>  Samba is version 3.0.9-1.3E.12.
>

> Honestly, I would *expect" that version combination to give you some problems.
>
> CUPS 1.2.8 is quite recent (1 month old?), and its cupsaddsmb utility has had some changes over time.
>
> Samba 3.0.9 is more than two years old. (At that time CUPS 1.1.22 was current).
>
> I bet very few people on this planet have ever extensively tested the same combination of versions as you have.

  Alex Finch, Research Fellow, Physics Department, Lancaster University.
+44 (0) 1524 593618   http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/physics/staff/ajf.htm