[cups.general] Error: No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:54:34 PDT 2007

On 23/03/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> Not stupid at all, but please understand that the n-up option does need to
> know the size of the page so it can butt them against each other
> properly.  Without the bonding box data, the best it can do is a SWAG, or
> a segfault, possibly even rejecting the job.

This still strikes me as strange. N-up printing requires the system to know
the page size, not the bounding box. The two are not necessarily the same
and a proper calculation of the bounding box will almost certainly result in
a bounding box that is not the same as the page size. And page size in
Postscript print jobs is hinted using the %%DocumentMedia comment, not
the %%BoundingBox comment.

Also, in the absence of bounding box data, the "best" it can do is assume a
default page size (don't know if this is what you mean by SWAG, but even
Ghostscript does this by default so it's not an unreasonable assumption).
A segfault is far from "the best" it can do.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

Gmail must die. Yes, I use it, but it still must die.
PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)