[cups.general] Error: No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Mar 24 10:52:22 PDT 2007

Ambrose Li wrote:
> On 24/03/07, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> Ambrose Li wrote:
>> > a bounding box that is not the same as the page size. And page size in
>> > Postscript print jobs is hinted using the %%DocumentMedia comment, not
>> > the %%BoundingBox comment.
>>
>> As BoundingBox is required by DocumentMedia is not, we can't depend on
>> it (nor can we depend on DocumentMedia having a value we can use...)
>
> Where did you get the idea that BoundingBox is required? According to DSC
> 3.0 G.11.1 paragraph 2, "there no longer are any required comments" ever
> since DSC 2.1 was released, and "all comments are optional".

*CUPS* requires the %%BoundingBox command and does nothing with
%%DocumentMedia.  We require %%BoundingBox because the EPSF spec
requires it and because that is the only way for us to safely
scale/offset pages as needed.

Also, on a more practical note you'll find that most apps generate
the %%BoundingBox comment but almost none generate %%DocumentMedia.