Set username to send to remote LPD/LPR print queue

rca1 rca1-cups at blit.tk
Mon Mar 26 22:39:41 PDT 2007

My school uses the Pharos print system, which requires sending the correct username to the campus printers. If my local login on Linux is "localuser" but my username for school is "schooluser", how do I tell CUPS to send the username "schooluser" when it prints, no matter what my local username is? The queue is LPD/LPR.

Is there a way to do this with gnome or kde's print configuration tools? Or even cups' http-based configuration? If not, can I add a line to a cups config file such as printers.conf? Thanks in advance. I sure haven't found anything yet on how to do this.