scheduler not responding!

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Mar 27 17:21:54 PDT 2007

> I have subsequently installed CUPS 1.2.10 to attempt to fix this issue.
>
> I downloaded the cups-1.2.10-source.tar.gz file from http://www.cups.org/software.php?VERSION=1.2.10, then built the rpm file using:
>    * rpmbuild -ta cups-1.2.10-source.tar.gz --without dbus
>
> Before this could be / was done, I used up2date to update these packages:
>    * libjpeg-devel
>    * libtiff-devel
>
> And this one had to be installed, again using up2date as wasn't yet present:
>    * php-devel
>
> All that happened without any errors being generated.
>
> I then updated the CUPS files installed using:
>    * rpm -Uvh cups-libs-1.2.10-1.i386.rpm cups-1.2.10-1.i386.rpm
>
> No messages noting an error were generating during that installation.
>
> At this point, cupsd starts fine, and can be restarted etc without any errors.  However, lp and lpstat commands simply hang, with no output being generated.  When gnome is started up, the eggcups utility uses ~10% of the CPU time constantly, plus 90-95% of the network is being taken up.  End up having to kill it.
>
> A test print page can be done via the CUPS control panel at http://localhost:631/, that come out fine, no problems at all in speed or quality of it.  Viewing the error log at http://localhost:631/admin/log/error_log nothing appears to indicate any sort of problem that stands out at me.  Also turned on "Save debugging information for troubleshooting", restarted cupsd, nothing stands out again.
>
> Any suggestions / ideas on what is going on here?  'Cause this is well beyond my very limited knowledge of this sort of thing.

Are you by any chance perusing your old CUPS config files for the new
version? Did you remove and/or inspect /etc/cups/cupsd.conf,  /etc/cups/client.conf, your users' ~/.cupsrc, ~/.cups/client.conf files (watch for "ServerName" entries, and the IPP_Port ("Listen" or "Port" entries.).

Also, you may want to look into /etc/cups/printers.conf and /etc/cups/lpoptions, and your users' ~/.lpoptions files (from 1.1 to 1.2 CUPS has gained a few more and new options, and you'll not be using them if the old config files are still utilized).

See http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/whatsnew.html