Windows Clients don't appear to know margins

Shawn Foo shawn.foo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:09:30 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've set up two printers using cups and using the postscript drivers to push the drivers to windows clients that connect via Samba. One is an HP Laserjet 6L (A4 laser printer) and the other an HP Designjet 100 (A1 printer).

The problem is that under cups, windows clients don't seem to know what the printer margins are so that they can "Resize to printer margins" or warn that content is outside the printable margins. (Both of these were functional when the printers were shared from a windows box). What appears to be happening is that they just print to the page size as if the margins were zero.

I used the alignmargins utility from www.linuxprinting.org and that fixed the test page from the cups web administration page, but it didn't make any difference to the windows clients.

FWIW, the three apps that I'm testing from (that are most important to us) are Adobe Acrobat, Autocad and Archicad.

Does the margin information get passed back to windows clients accessing the printers via samba? Or is there a problem with my config?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Shawn