[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2280: The lpd backend does not pay attention to -h option of DeviceURI has +banner=yes in it.

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Mar 7 10:47:39 PST 2007

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

OK, for starters the "-h" option of the lpr command just turns the CUPS
banner pages off (job-sheets=none). This simulates the old lpr
functionality but the backend does not receive any notification that
"job-sheets=none" was passed with the job - it just gets the final print
data in one blob or stream.

Now, we *could* have the lpd backend check the job-sheets attribute via an
IPP request, but that wouldn't produce the intended result since you'd end
up with double banners when job-sheets != none.

Also, if you have gone to the trouble of setting banner=yes in the device
URI, chances are (and we're just going off years of user feedback here)
you don't want users to disable banners, typically because you need them
for local policy/security reasons.

So, we won't be adding code to set banner=no when job-sheets=none in CUPS.
You can add code to do this fairly easily (take a look at some of the CUPS
book examples, or look at the lpstat or lpq code for inspiration), and
either modify the lpd backend itself or wrap it with your own program that
passes a modified DEVICE_URI environment variable through to the original
backend.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2280
Version:  -feature
Fix Version: Will Not Fix