[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2281: converting host name to IP address on run-time

Kouhei Sutou kou at cozmixng.org
Thu Mar 8 05:06:15 PST 2007

[STR New]

Some directives (e.g. BrowseAddress, Allow and so on) can be specified
target host as host name instead of IP address. CUPS converts host name to
IP address on start-up. This causes some problems:

1. CUPS ignores a directive that has host name that can't be converted to
IP address on start-up. So, CUPS will ignore the directive if DNS server
is down on CUPS's start-up. We need to ensure resolving host name on
start-up even if BrowseAddress, Allow and so on use host name on run-time.
This may become a system problem that is difficult to find.

2. CUPS don't reflect new IP address associated with host name even if
name resolving system changes that. CUPS resolves host name on start-up
and keeps resolved IP address on run-time. So, we need to restart CUPS if
we re-configure DNS server and/or /etc/hosts. This may become a system
problem that is difficult to find too.

P.S.
To implement this request, we will need to change data structure. (e.g.
I'll add host_name to http_addrlist_t or make a new data type for holding
host name and/or IP address if I make a patch.)

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2281
Version:  -feature