[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2299: "tools/makebuttons" requires ImageMagick/convert version 6.2.4 or higher

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Mar 19 06:31:26 PDT 2007

[STR New]

I was trying to play with the new makebuttons script. On SUSE 10.0 it
failed with a series of these messages:

  Creating doc/test/images/button-accept-jobs.gif...
  convert: unrecognized option `-extent'.
  identify: unable to open image `/tmp/cups-btn-24802.bmp': No such file
or directory.
  identify: unable to open image `/tmp/cups-btn-24802.bmp': No such file
or directory.
  tools/makebuttons: line 176: test: -gt: unary operator expected
  tools/makebuttons: line 184: test: -ge: unary operator expected

Indeed, the version of convert here does not know a "-extent" parameter:

  kurt at soprano:~> convert -version
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.3 02/08/07 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
  Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC

Next, I tried on a current Debian Sid system:

  kurt at sidux:~>  convert -version
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.4 02/10/07 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
  Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC

  kurt at sidux:~>  convert -help|grep extent
    -extent geometry     set the image size

The script works on Debian Sid very well.

It would be nice if the script...
  ...at least included a comment about the required minimal version of
ImageMagick
  ...possibly automatically checked for the version (or support for the
'-extent' parameter)
  ...could be modified (*) to work with older versions of ImageMagick too.

--------
(*) I tried with variations of '-size', '-resize', '-repage' and
'-geometry' parametes to replace the '-extent' one, but my ImageMagick
experience is not enough to find out. Their online documentation is quite
overwhelming, but does not provide an introduction for beginners starting
from scratch. Maybe someone from the list can pick this up?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2299
Version: 1.3-current