cups standard drv-files

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Mar 20 05:36:29 PDT 2007

Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
> Hello, Mike
> isn't possible to put the standard .ppd files
>
> (deskjet2.ppd  dymo.ppd     epson9.ppd    laserjet.ppd  okidat24.ppd
>  stcolor2.ppd  stphoto2.ppd  zebracpl.ppd  zebraep2.ppd
>  deskjet.ppd   epson24.ppd  intelbar.ppd okidata9.ppd  stcolor.ppd
>  stphoto.ppd   zebraep1.ppd  zebra.ppd)
>
> from cups as .drv files on to http://www.cups.org/ddk/ .
>
> this would be helpfull for all user of the cupsddk.
>
> Today I have to expand the zebra.ppd for printer with 8" Paper an have to
> reenginer the zebra.drv file.

You can create a .drv file from PPD files using the ppdi utility
in the DDK...

> It would be easy when the source of the zebra would be available.

The PPD files that come bundled with CUPS are created (and maintained)
by hand, since they have not changed significantly since the original
CUPS 1.0 release.

We have plans of bundling .drv files with the DDK that will expand
on the base PPDs in CUPS, possibly in the 1.2 release of the DDK.
It is also possible that we may merge the DDK with the regular CUPS
releases, making it possible to replace hand-generated PPDs with
..drv files.