[HIGH] STR #2308: PDF doc in landscape does not print correctly when submitted via lpr/Mac OS X – Epson EPL-5800

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Sun Mar 25 14:23:44 PDT 2007

[STR New]

I created in TeX a file to be printed in landscape format. I used the
geometry package to achieve this. The TeX compiler used is XeTeX, Version
3.141592-2.2-0.997-dev (Web2C 7.5.6). It produces PDF.

When I open the PDF file in Adobe Reader 8.0.0 I see at once in landscape.
The same happens in Apple's Preview, Dick Koch's TeX Shop 2.10beta8, gv
3.6.1 with gs 8.54 ... When I print the PDF file with lpr, its contents is
printed as landscape on a portrait sheet of paper, so only an edge is
visible.

When I use Apple's tools and preview the print job first and print then,
the file gets printed right, i.e. it is rotated by 90° and fits perfectly
on the ISO A4 portrait sheet of paper. So when Apple's printing framework
queues in the print job, it seems to be rotated, which pure CUPS and lpr
or lp seem to forget.

Holding the printer queue I printed the file from Apple's printing
framework directly and from the preview. Then I used on the command line
lpr and lp, both without any option, and finally lpr -l (it does not print
correctly, the printer receives PDF and does not recognise it, so it dumps
the file's contents in ASCII mode). Here is the contents of the printer
queue:

  -rw-------    1 root  lp      8317 24 Mär 15:27 c00017
  -rw-------    1 root  lp      8373 24 Mär 15:28 c00018
  -rw-------    1 root  lp       607 24 Mär 15:29 c00019
  -rw-------    1 root  lp       607 24 Mär 15:31 c00020
  -rw-------    1 root  lp       616 24 Mär 15:33 c00021
  -rw-r-----    1 root  lp     36956 24 Mär 15:27 d00017-001	OK
  -rw-r-----    1 root  lp     36956 24 Mär 15:28 d00018-001	OK
  -rw-r-----    1 root  lp     34242 24 Mär 15:29 d00019-001	not OK
  -rw-r-----    1 root  lp     34242 24 Mär 15:31 d00020-001	not OK
  -rw-r-----    1 root  lp     34242 24 Mär 15:33 d00021-001	ASCII dump

Mac OS X 10.4.9, EPSON EPL-5800 PostScript v. 3 printer.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2308
Version: 1.1.23