Unable to reserve port: Permission denied

CK f_u_2_2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 01:12:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

I used to be able to print via CUPS previously but recently after a recent automatic update by yum-updatesd, I cannot print anymore. Instead, when I look into the file /var/log/cups/error_log, I get the error message:
Unable to reserve port: Permission denied. I try to delete and define the printer again but still it could not print.

My printer is connected via parallet port to an SMC Barricade Broadband router which also acts as a LPD print server. I have another PC running windows and I have no problem problem printing to the printer from that PC via the same SMC Barricade router. There has been no change in any hardware or network settings.

I am using Fedora Core 6 kernel 2.6.20-1.2933.

The various CUPS RPM installed are:
libgnomecups-0.2.2-8
cups-1.2.7-1.8.fc6
hal-cups-utils-0.6.5-1.fc6