Printing system Problems

Bobbie sesapj at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 07:44:45 PDT 2007

I have 2 printers installed on my SuSE 10.0 system: An Epson Stylus R320
and a Samsung CLP-510 laser printer. Is it possible for the driver for the one printer to influence the driver of the other one?

What is happening is that when I use the Epson printer to print images in SeaMonkey 1.1.1, the images are printing extremely dark and does not
respond to any changes (brightness/contrast) I make in CUPS. (Seamonkey
1.1.1 was not installed by an rpm, I used Mozilla.org's installer).

Also, (on the Epson) photos that feature yellows, blues and greens seem to print fine but images that have reds and skin tones do not. The reds print very dark, like brownish hues and the skin tones have cool tones (yellowish green hues) rather than warmer ones. I noticed the color problem recently when I had changed the ink cartridges and after a security update (CUPS was on the updates list). I have since rolled it back to the previous version but that did no good.

I've just tried some experimental prints from Konquerer and FF 1.5.0.10.
They both print the images extremely dark. They don't seem to respond to any gamma setting changes made in CUPS.

I also tried an experimental print from Open Office. It did nicely and
responded to the changes I made to the composite gamma setting.

I know that something is wrong somewhere, can anyone please help?

I'm using Gutenprint 5.0 rc3 and Ghostscript 8.15.2 and my kernel is
2.6.13-15.15-smp (on SuSE 10.0) and I have CUPS version 1.1.23