Encryption

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 2 12:19:59 PDT 2007

Is there anywhere a more thorough description of CUPS and encryption than the small section in Chapter 5 of the CUPS Book (pp95-100)? I've looked for an article at this site, and have Googled a little - both unsuccessfully.

I've just built an experimental CUPS 1.2.10 with OpenSSL 0.9.8e, with locally-generated certificates, and with:

ServerCertificate /etc/cups/ssl/server.crt
ServerKey /etc/cups/ssl/server.key
SSLListen 443
Encryption Required

in the cupsd.conf file (I actually have other paths for server.crt and server.key but they are correct, and they have modes:

-rw-------   1 root     lp          1460 May  2 19:36 server.crt
-rw-------   1 root     lp           887 May  2 19:36 server.key

). There is a 'production' cupsd from 1.2.8 listening on port 631. When I command on the client:

; lpq -E -hcups:443 -Ppp23

I see:

lpq: Unable to connect to server
;

and the 443 cupsd dies silently, leaving no trace in the log file - even though I have `LogLevel debug2' set.