[cups.general] Ink levels with application/vnc.cups-command

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu May 3 09:22:39 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:59 -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Sort of, however I don't think any of the current drivers support
> the "ReportLevels" command.

Well, the gutenprint native CUPS driver does, to some extent.  It at
least tells the printer to report its ink levels, although it doesn't
currently read them back.  That's what I'm looking at currently.

I have a patch to get it to use cupsBackChannelRead() to find out what
the ink levels are.  But at the moment all I can do with it is set
marker-supply-low-warning on or off.

> Once we get drivers to implement ink level monitoring (of any kind),
> we'll come up with attributes to track the exact levels, e.g.:
>
>      ATTR: marker-levels=33,44,55,66 marker-names=cyan,magenta,yellow,black

So I think this is the kind of thing I'm after.  Also HPLIP can give
fairly more detailed information about ink levels, such as full/low/out
for all the different ink types.

What next?

Tim.
*/