How to correctly submit a JOB with Event Subscription via IPP

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 4 08:25:18 PDT 2007

Gustavo Carreno wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently working on a company project that involves using IPP communication with a CUPS server.
>
> I've done all the RFC reading and got a nice little ipp class that can do quite allot: get printer attributes, print job, get job attributes, get jobs, etc..
>
> I'm stuck on the subscription sequence for a print-job operation. I'm doing:
> version(1.1)
> operation(IPP_PRINT_JOB)
> request-id(1)
> tag-operation
> tag-charset(attributes-charset = utf-8)
> tag-language(attributes-natural-language = en_US)
> tag-uri(printer-uri = ipp://forest/)
> tag-name(notify-subscriber-user-name = username)
> tag-uri(notify-recipient-uri = ipp://client/)
> tag-keyword(notify-events = job-completed)
> tag-charset(notify-charset = utf-8)
> tag-language(notify-natural-language = en_US)
> 0x03
>
> On the error_log all the notify- get shown, but the notify-recipient-uri, and all the events are shown as ignored.
>
> What am I doing wrong ?

You need to use a valid recipient URI; "ipp:/client/" is not a
standard notification scheme - unless you have an "ipp" notifier in
the /usr/lib/cups/notifier directory, it won't be accepted as a
subscription (and you probably will get an error).

Also, older 1.2.x releases incorrectly looked for notify-recipient
instead of notify-recipient-uri.  This was fixed in CUPS 1.2.10.