cupsd takes longer to process request

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Wed May 9 06:39:17 PDT 2007

Hello all.

Last night, we converted another production host into using CUPS. The
application initialy uses the OS(AIX) qprt command to print jobs. After
the conversion, we noticed some difference in cups processing requests.

Using the qprt command, the application's submit time to the qdaemon is
zero second while the submit time to cupsd using lpr takes additional
4-seconds to complete. See the following before and after effect:

before cups(qdaemon(qprt) running):
S Tue May  8 17:40:59 2007
S  1 pages (OTF) printed in 0 seconds, avg. 0.0 pages per sec
S  Timeinfo @>SPOREQ:79160@</1 (@>DEV:FLAH@<): 0 1 OTF ( 0 0 0 0 0 0 )
S Tue May  8 17:41:00 2007
S  1 pages (OTF) printed in 0 seconds, avg. 0.0 pages per sec
S  Timeinfo @>SPOREQ:79161@</1 (@>DEV:FLAH@<): 0 1 OTF ( 0 0 0 0 0 0 )

with cupsd(lpr) running:
S Tue May  8 17:42:49 2007
S  1 pages (OTF) printed in 4 seconds, avg. 0.2 pages per sec
S  Timeinfo @>SPOREQ:79243@</1 (@>DEV:FLAH@<): 4 1 OTF ( 0 0 0 0 0 4 )
S Tue May  8 17:42:53 2007
S  1 pages (OTF) printed in 4 seconds, avg. 0.2 pages per sec
S  Timeinfo @>SPOREQ:79244@</1 (@>DEV:FLAH@<): 4 1 OTF ( 0 0 0 0 0 4 )
S Tue May  8 17:43:13 2007
S  1 pages (OTF) printed in 4 seconds, avg. 0.2 pages per sec
S  Timeinfo @>SPOREQ:79245@</1 (@>DEV:FLAH@<): 4 1 OTF ( 0 0 0 0 0 4 )

Does anyone know why this is? Is there any setting I need to make in
cups to decrease the time it takes to process incoming print request?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!
Angel