[cups.general] printing performance

Malcolm Holden MHolden at zetex.com
Wed May 9 07:19:29 PDT 2007

Hi,
I have CUPS server 1.1.23 running on SuSE Linux V 10 Kernel
2.6.16.21-0.8-smp #1.

I am also using two Solaris clients running CUPS 1.1.14 and a Windows
client on Server 2003.

I can have about 8 (HP) network printers configured using sockets with
no problems at all. As soon as I add a 9th lp, lpstat and lpadmin slow
down. I can add up to about 11 printers at which point a lpstat -p takes
approx 16 minutes to complete, using lp to print takes about 9 minutes.
The printers are all on a different subnet from the print server and
clients.

I have no problems running these commands on the Solaris clients only
the Linux CUPS server.

I have also stopped cups-lpd from xinetd.
Regards
Malc

Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world.

http://www.zetex.com
http://www.zetex.cn

E-MAILS are susceptible to interference.  You should not assume that
the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they
have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
omitted in connection with this communication.
If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.