[cups.general] One-page-at-a-Time

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Thu May 10 11:38:35 PDT 2007

Dear List:

I am still having difficulty with pages printing one-page-at-a-time. Here's
a recap of the issue, plus the various responses, to date:

Michael Sweet wrote >

 if you are getting pauses
 between each page (with the printer needing you to press a button to
 continue), then most likely the job is asking for paper of the wrong
 type, size, or source.  On my LaserJet 2100, for example, if tray 1
 is empty I have to hit the feed button to get it to pull paper from
 tray 2 since my default settings have jobs print from tray 1.

 So, check your driver settings against the settings on the printer -
 I'd guess you have a mismatch...

In response I noted >

The Status LCD screen on my IIIP Printer, had showed LC Tray Only....Page
Size Letter....I am experimenting with those settings.

I believe my printer configuration files (debian 3.1) all show Letter for
the page size. Though it is possible I have overlooked some key conf file
which may be sending an A4 or Legal size to my printer.

What's strange, is my debian box...sends native linux print jobs, as well,
as Windows print jobs from win98se which runs on the linux box under
Win4Lin...Those windows print jobs just print fine without intervention.

As well with >

I am still having to hit the Continue button after each page. I print to my
Laser Jet iiip from two machines, one running Xp, other running native linux
and virtual win98se. Jobs from either XP or 98se print all pages without any
need to intervene, yet, ANY job from linux, always requires intervention.
This is why I believe that the settings on my Laser Jet are just fine, and
that there is a problem at my linux machine, which is sending the wrong
information

Till Kamppeter wrote >

> Does the printer have front panel menus? If so, check whether one can
> turn on and off manual feeding there.

The printer does have 6 control buttons and one display...and I checked and
it said "MAN FEED    OFF"   i.e., manual feed is OFF.....not ON....

and Finally, Kurt Pfeifle wrote >

Read again what was adviced before: "check your driver settings against the
settings on the printer" for mismatch. It looks
+like your Win boxen drivers do match the printer setting, while your Linux
one does not.

> Any further ideas on how to proceed?

Post the output of the following commands:

 lpoptions -d your_printer_name
  lpoptions -d your_printer_name -l

  These will give us an idea what the default settings are for your
  printqueue.

  Tell us what paper size you want to print on. Tell us what paper size is
  loaded into the printer (for each paper tray, if there
  +is more than one).

  Tell us, which specific paper tray you want to use (if there is more than
  one).

  Last: test, if this command variation does work for your purpose:

   (a) if you want to print on Letter paper:
        lp -d your_printer_name -o PageSize=Letter /path/to/printfile

Heres the output >

Here's output from lpoptions -o sethlaser

job-sheets=none,none printer-info=laserjetb&w printer-is-accepting-jobs=1
printe
r-is-shared=1 printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 3P w/ PCL5 Foomatic/ljet4
(rec
ommended)' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1177458745
printer-state-re
asons=none printer-type=143364 media=Letter

As well...

scott at fyrenice:~$ lpoptions -d sethlaser -l
PageSize/Page Size: *Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5
EnvMonarch Executive Legal
PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5
EnvMonarch Executive Legal
InputSlot/Media Source: *Default Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Tray4 Envelope Manual
Resolution/Resolution: 75x75dpi 150x150dpi *300x300dpi
Dithering/Floyd-Steinberg Dithering: Normal *FSDithered

and >

I want to print on US Letter, 8.5" x 11"... I have the lower cassette tray,
which is loaded with US Letter paper. There is only one tray.

> Tell us, which specific paper tray you want to use (if there is more than
> one).

I only use the lower cassette, or I may insert a few sheets in the MP Tray
for short jobs.

and Lastly >

I replied to the questions listed below on 25 April, but never heard
anything further from you. Do you have any follow up ideas on this?

I should add that, while running a 60 page mail merge today, I notice the
following on my Laser Jet IIIP's display window:

LC LOAD A4

This clears to READY after hitting Alt-Continue, but then requires the same
prompting for each page of the merge, or otherwise...all pages require the
prompting from the key combination.

Does this display help? Everything I find shows "US LETTER" as the page sige
I am sending to this printer.

Scott