[cups.general] lexmark 1000 - no output on ubuntu

Klaus nospam at gr7.com
Fri May 11 03:19:49 PDT 2007

Till Kamppeter schrieb:

> which lm1100
>
> should tell you whether the driver is present.

Hi Til,

which lm1100 does not output anything.

I tried
lpinfo -m
and got a lot of output, for lm1100 there are three lines:

foomatic:Lexmark-1000-lm1100.ppd Lexmark 1000 Foomatic/lm1100 (recommended)
foomatic:Lexmark-1020-lm1100.ppd Lexmark 1020 Foomatic/lm1100 (recommended)
foomatic:Lexmark-1100-lm1100.ppd Lexmark 1100 Foomatic/lm1100 (recommended)

I tried
lpinfo -v
and got this:

network socket
network beh
network bluetooth
direct hpfax
direct hp
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct canon:/dev/lp0
direct epson:/dev/lp0
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
network smb

> If not, go to
>
> http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=lm1100
>
> and download the driver and patch following the "lm1100" link. Then
> follow the instructions in the text so that the driver compiles with
> compiler with comes with Ubuntu 7.04.

probably I'm too stupid to follow the instructions on this link. There
are too many if's ... then ...
I'm not really an expert on this:

--------------snip-------------
Important: If you use gcc 3.1 or later for compiling this driver you
should apply a little correction by running the command

perl -p -i -e 's/friend Lexmark/friend class Lexmark/' *.h

in the source directory of the driver before you compile the driver with
the "make" command.

To use gcc 3.4 or later, you need to apply this patch.

For gcc 4.1 or later, you need to run the command

perl -p -i -e 's/\b[^\s:]+:://' *.h

in the source directory of the driver before compiling. This removes the
now deprecated extra qualifications "<class>::<member>" on class members.

I not even know what gcc I could use. It seems that there are a lot of
versions installed. Where is the source directory of my driver?
I found some locations of lm1100 related stuff but don't know if these
are related to the driver.
Please could you give me some hints step by step what to do?

Thanks in advance, Klaus